Successors in interest (consumer mortgage loans)
A successor in interest is a person to whom an ownership interest in a property securing a mortgage loan is transferred from the original borrower. This may occur as a result of devise (i.e. a will), laws of descent, or other operation of law (i.e. a court order).
To be covered, this may happen in one of the following ways:
(1) A transfer to a relative resulting from the death of an original borrower;
(2) A transfer resulting from a divorce, legal separation agreement, or from an incidental property settlement agreement, by which the spouse of the borrower becomes an owner of the property;
(3) A transfer where the spouse or children of the borrower become an owner of the property;
(4) A transfer upon the death of a joint tenant or tenant by the entirety;
(5) A transfer into a living trust in which the borrower is and remains a beneficiary and which does not relate to a transfer of rights of occupancy in the property.
A successor in interest becomes confirmed once the Bank has verified the person's identity and their ownership interest in the dwelling.
Successors in interest have certain rights under Federal law related to the mortgage loan secured by their primary residence.
If you believe you are a successor in interest, we will need to collect certain documents from you and confirm your identity before we can disclose information to you concerning the mortgage.
Please gather the appropriate documents and fill out the “SII Cover Letter” and “SII Identification Form” to begin the process (links below). There are lists provided below that detail what documents are required based on your situation (one of the five circumstances numbered above).
Once you have gathered the documents, bring them and the completed forms to your nearest Stock Yards Bank & Trust location. You will need to speak with a service associate for identity verification. The other documents may be mailed to: Stock Yards Bank & Trust, Attn: Managed Assets, P.O. Box 32890, Louisville KY 40232 (or fax to 502-625-2287, Attn: Managed Assets). Your identity must be verified in-person by an employee of the bank.
SII Cover Sheet
SII Identification Form
SII Required Documents (Death of a Relative)
SII Required Documents (Divorce or Legal Separation)
SII Required Documents (Transfer from Living Parent or Spouse)
SII Required Documents (Joint Tenant or Tenant by the Entirety)
SII Required Documents (Transfer to Living Trust)